Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

5 little ducks

Today I was singing the 5 little duck song to Asher, I like most children songs a lot because they can teach some really important concepts. This one for example when paired with actions can teach concepts like over, far away, ducks say quack and teach basic math skills of counting backwards and subtraction. Jeron doesn't like kids songs cuz they get stuck in his head but when you have a large repertoire of them they're not so bad. For those of you who haven't heard the song this is my version of it.

5 little ducks went out one day,
Over the hills and far away.
When the Mommy duck went
Quack, quack, quack
4 little ducks came waddling back.
(continue song repeating versus until only one duck comes back)

As I was singing I got interrupted halfway through with Jeron saying "This is a really sad song."
"You've never heard this song before?" I asked. "No, it's a really sad song though. Don't you think?" he responded. I had never thought of it before but without the ending it really is kinda scary. I struggled through laughter to sing the rest of my song so Jeron could hear the ending.

(after 'no little ducks come waddling back')
but then the Mommy and the Daddy duck said
Quack, Quack, QUACK
5 little ducks came waddling back.

Who knew you could learn so much from a children's song. I didn't. After this indecent I made sure to talk to Asher about kidnappings, after all he is a really cute little boy. I told him that even though everything worked out great in this story sometimes if you go too far away where Mommy and Daddy can't see or hear you, you won't be able to come back. So make sure that we can always see you.

Hopefully teaching him early will help in the future.

No comments: